- First…What’s the Best Chainsaw Under 300?
- Best Chainsaws Under 300 — Reviews and Ratings
- 1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw Review
- 2. Husqvarna 450 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw Review
- 3. Makita UC3530A Commercial Grade 14-Inch Electric Chainsaw Review
- 4. Poulan PL1416, 16 in. 14-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
- 5. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
- 6. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp Chainsaw
- How to Choose the Right Chainsaw
- How to Install a Chainsaw Bar and Chain
- Final Words on the Best Chainsaw Under 300
Although there are thousands of chainsaws on the market now, it’s difficult to select the best chainsaws under 300 while still ensuring they deliver the best performance.
And if you are looking to buying your first chainsaw, you may find it difficult to select the one that’ll meet your criteria.
While it’s possible to just select any chainsaw that falls in this price point, it may not last you long enough to properly derive any value for the money spent.
What then is the right way to choose the best?
By choosing chainsaws that fall under your budget, is top rated, and known to perform excellently.
And right now, I’ve done all that for you. All the chainsaws in this guide fulfill all the above and you can see all the reviews and ratings of each one before buying.
All you have to do right now is choose one that with a better rating and review.
First…What’s the Best Chainsaw Under 300?
This specific brand is our favorite for chainsaws for the money!
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw comes with lots of features including:
Engine and power – This chainsaw uses a 55 cc engine that puts out 3.5 hp of power. It has a pretty impressive max speed of 9,000 rpm.
Adjustable oil pump – Most commercial saws will come with an automatic oiler that will put out a standard amount of lubrication to protect the blade. With the Husqvarna 455 Rancher, it is possible to control the amount of oil flow. This design feature is very useful for particularly difficult jobs where you can increase the oil flow for maximum assistance and protection.
Inertia activated chain brake – A sudden kickback will instantly cause this good inertia based safety mechanism to stop the chain, avoiding a disastrous accident.
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher uses a high quality, forged three-piece crankshaft that is much more durable than the one piece crankshaft that you will find in most chainsaws at a comparable price level.
Want to see what other chainsaws are available and read an in-depth review of each? Read on…
Now let’s get into the review proper:
Best Chainsaws Under 300 — Reviews and Ratings
1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw Review
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is one of the best power chainsaws in the market today that will offer you brute power as well as lots of safety and ergonomic features at the same time.
It retails just around the $400 mark and is power packed with several features. Some of them are discussed below.
- Engine and power – This chainsaw uses a 55 cc engine that puts out 3.5 hp of power. It has a pretty impressive max speed of 9,000 rpm.
- Adjustable oil pump – Most commercial saws will come with an automatic oiler that will put out a standard amount of lubrication to protect the blade. With the Husqvarna 455 Rancher, it is possible to control the amount of oil flow. This design feature is very useful for particularly difficult jobs where you can increase the oil flow for maximum assistance and protection.
- Inertia activated chain brake – A sudden kickback will instantly cause this good inertia based safety mechanism to stop the chain, avoiding a disastrous accident.
- Patented, high-performance air injection system – The Husqvarna 455 Rancher uses a centrifugal air filter system that will remove most of the large debris and dust particles before they hit the air filter which in turn increases the life of the engine. The air filters are also easily detachable for fuss-free and frequent cleaning.
- Side mounted chain tension adjustment – The screw to adjust the tension of the chain is easily adjustable and there will be no disassembly required for quick adjustments.
- Choke stop control – Most commercial grade chainsaws will not have this feature where you can control the flow of fuel to the engine in case of flooding.
- Smart start – With the Husqvarna 455 Rancher, you will not have to yank with all your might to get the motor going. The gentlest of pulls will be enough to bring this powerful chain saw to life as it uses smart start technology.
- Low vibration ergonomics – Another very impressive feature of the Husqvarna 455 Rancher is that it operates with minimal vibration which will mean that user fatigue is very less. One can use this power saw for even a few hours without straining their arms and shoulders in the process.
- Three-piece crankshaft – The Husqvarna 455 Rancher uses a high quality, forged three-piece crankshaft that is much more durable than the one piece crankshaft that you will find in most chainsaws at a comparable price level.
2. Husqvarna 450 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw Review
The Husqvarna 450 is a great saw if you are looking for a powerful, easy to use and easy to maintain electric saw with a price tag of a few hundred dollars.
It comes with a 50cc motor that puts out an impressive 3.2 HP. Despite these powerful specifications, the saw weighs just less than 12 pounds which will make it very convenient to use.
Read our detailed chainsaw reviews below:
Here are some of the most important features of the Husqvarna 450:
- X-Torq technology – This patented technology ensures that the Husqvarna 450 is one of the most efficient saws when it comes to fuel consumption. Additionally, it also abides by strict emission norms, putting out some of the lowest levels of emissions that harm the environment.
- Smart Start – Gone are the days when you could almost throw your back out while starting one of these saws. The Husqvarna 450 comes with trademarked Smart Start technology that will only require the gentlest of pulls to get this powerful saw going.
- Ergonomic rear handle – The handle is designed with very soft inlays and is shaped with an asymmetrical design that will reduce fatigue quite significantly. Conventional chainsaws come with a symmetrical handle design that is not always the best design in terms of efficiency. The Husqvarna 450 also comes with vibration reduction technology, with the motor being housed in such a way that it produces the lowest amount of vibration.
- Three-piece crankshaft – Most saws will come with a crankshaft that will be made out of 1 piece of steel that will be susceptible to more wear and tear whereas the Husqvarna 450 is made out of 3 separate pieces of high-quality steel.
- Quick release air filter – A quick pop and pull will allow you to access the air filter which can then be cleaned easily in the Husqvarna 450. With other saws, there will usually be a frustrating level of disassembly that will be required before one is able to get their hands on the air filter.
- Snaplock cylinder cover – This is another part that is designed for ease of use. One can easily change spark plugs in an instant by snapping off a compartment in this saw. Once the spark plugs have been replaced or cleaned, the panel can quickly be snapped back on for uninterrupted use.
- Choke/stop control – In the rare event that you experience some engine trouble; you can simply use the combined choke control to either control or stop the flow of fuel very easily.
3. Makita UC3530A Commercial Grade 14-Inch Electric Chainsaw Review
If you are looking for a commercial grade, heavy duty 14’ chain saw that is electric, the Makita UC3530A is definitely a product that deserves very serious consideration.
This powerful saw chain saw weighs in just less than 11 pounds and is one of the best deals in the market today when you consider the big list of features that are explained below.
- One touch adjustment without the use of tools – While most other chainsaws will require you to get out the toolbox to make adjustments, the Makita UC3530A uses a one-touch patented technology that will allow you to fine-tune your chain saw to make it suitable for various cutting needs. This feature is actually one of the best selling points of this particular Makita model that has seen a lot of demand.
- Ergonomics – The Makita UC3530A comes with a heavily rubberized grip that will ensure the best comfort for the user while also reducing the fatigue involved in chain saw use.
- Ease of use in starting – The Makita UC3530A is designed with a soft start technology that will ensure the smoothest of startups. It comes with a large trigger switch that will give you maximum control during stop/start cutting.
- Built-in motor protector – The Makita UC3530A comes with a patented circuit design that will limit the motor from burning out if the workload is too much. It will automatically cut off the power to the motor by using the inbuilt current limiter when the chain saw becomes overloaded.
- Automatic maintenance – An important telling point for a good, commercial chain saw is a product that has a very good automatic oiler. The Makita UC3530A doesn’t disappoint here. In fact, it has to be said that this product has one of the best automatic oilers that will ensure the longest periods of continuous cutting. It will also greatly extend the durability of this power saw.
- Oil level checker – The Makita UC3530A comes with a big oil reservoir and the user can easily check the oil level using the large view window. Timely top offs will not be a problem in this model.
- Chain brake – This Makita model comes with an electric chain brake that will allow the user complete control over his or her cutting.
- Safety features – Makita has layered this heavy-duty electric chain saw with two layers of insulation to rule out any chances of an electric shock, even during the roughest usage.
- Warranty and money back guarantee – All Makita tools come with a 1-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee, allowing the user to buy with assurance and peace of mind
4. Poulan PL1416, 16 in. 14-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
The Poulan PL1416, 16 in. 14-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw runs on a 3.5 horsepower 13 and 1/2 amp motor and comes with a lightweight design. It weighs 7.5 lbs, making the compact chainsaw great for limbing and pruning. It has a 16-inch bar and handguard and a trigger lockout for safety.
- Ergonomic Design – The safety of a chainsaw is largely determined by the design. When the design is bad, it might affect the safety, which is bad for you. Fortunately, this chainsaw comes with an ergonomic inline engine design, which enhances balance and control. This means a lower risk of kickback and other hazards.
- Moderate Bar and Chain Length – Unless you are looking to cutting a very large tree, this chainsaw will help you cut through most trees. And if you only need to remove a few small trees, you’ll find this will slice through it quickly. Obviously, the horsepower on this may not be enough in taking down the larger tree, you’ll have no problems going through trees with moderate width.
- A Good Chainsaw for Women – Recently, there has been an increase in the demand for women, which means there needs to be cheap, easy to maneuver, and compact chainsaw to satisfy this need. Fortunately, the Poulan 14-Amp Chainsaw is a plug-in and use kind of chainsaw. Not only is it at the right price but its design and size make it an attractive option to a woman who wants to cut down wood or for maintenance without too much of a stress.
- For Small Jobs – If you are looking for something light to use for smaller jobs, this is it. This means it’s not suitable for a serious job such as cutting trees above 20″ in width. It’s important to note at this point that some users complain of this saw being heavy, which is true. It’s 16″ and while that sounds like irony, I’ll recommend you choose this only if you are looking for something to cut down small trees. For something lighter, you’ll have to look at the other models on this list.
- Well Built and Durable – The chainsaw is sturdy and strong, coming with more metal than plastic. While this makes it heavier than plastic dominated chainsaws, it’s great for you if you want something that’ll last longer.
While it’s balanced and affords you good control, the chain on the chainsaw might come off a few time. But if you are not engaged in a long-winded cutting session, this shouldn’t affect your flow and progress.
5. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
If you are a man looking to purchase a chainsaw under 300, great. However, if you are a woman, you know how much it’s important to choose a chainsaw that’s easy to put together – especially if you are work all alone.
Here are a few more succinct features of this chainsaw:
- Easy to Assemble – The BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw is easy to put together doesn’t leave you scratching your head after some point before it’s fully assembled.
- Long Lasting Battery – Not only does the battery charge quickly but also does stays longer especially if you are only pruning or bucking a tree. With a 20V MAX lithium, you will enjoy long-life and long run-time. This is especially useful if you are dealing with thick wood/timber.
- Tool-Free Blade Tension System – This allows you to adjust the chain and bar quickly, without the use of any tool. If you are going to be doing a lot of limbing and bucking, this hands-free chainsaw is going to help you work faster and more efficiently.
- Wrap Around Bale Handle – The bale handle has a plastic wrap that makes grabbing and gripping the chainsaw easier. It allows you to have maximum control of the saw while cutting through a thick wood, without losing comfort or balance.
- Lightweight Design – Another attractive feature of this chainsaw is that it weighs only a few pounds, making it easy to maneuver and manipulate when you are handling a delicate project. Moreover, the lightweight design helps to reduce fatigue so you can work longer at your job.
6. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp Chainsaw
One of the nice features of this chainsaw is that it comes with an auto-tension system that protects the chain and bar as well as maintains proper tension while cutting – this is done automatically, so you can focus on the important task at hand.
The auto-tensioning system is also responsible for preventing over-tightening, which can shorten the life of the bar and chain on the saw.
Here are a few more benefits of this chainsaw:
- Auto-Lubrication with Oil Level Indicator – This chainsaw comes with a built-in oiler that keeps the chain and the bar lubricated so they can run smoothly.
- Lightweight and Ergonomic Design – Because it’s light, you’ll rarely experience early fatigue when cutting. The rear handle is wrapped in rubber and the front handle is ergonomically designed so you can work with maximum comfort and control. The 18″ bar features all-metal dogs at the base for improved stability during cutting and the sprocket on the bar nose is easy to oil, thus making it easy to keep it in tip-top condition. And because you don’t mix oil and gas prior to usage, this electric chainsaw adds more to your operation time.
- Powerful 15 Amp Motor – The WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp Chainsaw comes with a 15-amp motor that delivers excellent power and performance that rivals that of a gas chainsaw. This motor lets you handle tough jobs and outwit tricky tree branches.
- Adequate Safety Features – The chainsaw has a built-in safety brake, which automatically stops the chain from rotating around the bar when the wrong contact is made. So, in the event of a sudden or rapid movement of the chainsaw, you don’t need to try to stop the saw because the brake engages in seconds, saving you from possible injuries.
How to Choose the Right Chainsaw
Still not sure how to choose the right chainsaw?
Here is a quick video that’ll work you all the necessary steps you need to take to choose the right chainsaw for you.
It certainly is not difficult to choose when you are working with a budget – all it takes is being optimistic and doing all the right things at the right time.
Enough of that, here is the video:
How to Install a Chainsaw Bar and Chain
How about how to install your chainsaw bar and chain?
After buying your chainsaw, the next thing is to ensure you install the bar and chain correctly. The process is similar, whichever chainsaw type you are dealing, with only a few differences.
Here is a quick overview on how to install your chainsaw bar and chain properly:
Final Words on the Best Chainsaw Under 300
Selecting a chainsaw with a budget constraint is not always a bad thing as long as you know what you are looking for.
There are a lot of brands on the market that sells below three hundred dollars, all you have to do is look in the right place.
Fortunately, this guide provides you with all the best models you can find under this price point. If you read to this end, selecting the best chainsaw under 300 should not be difficult for you.