- Bosch HTH181-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Square Drive Impact Wrench Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case – Detent Pin
- Campbell Hausfeld 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench, Composite
- Ingersoll Rand (2235TIMAX) 1/2″ Drive Air Impact Wrench
- Tornado Tools 12V DC Impact Wrench
- Craftsman C3 1/2″ Cordless 19.2 Volt Impact Wrench Driver Kit
Whether you are a professional mechanic, or are a driver who is looking for a quick and easy way of changing tires, you will probably be looking for the best impact wrench for lug nuts to make the job much simpler and faster.
While it is always possible to change a tire by hand, it can be a tiring and time consuming job to unscrew all of the lug nuts, especially if you are running a professional car workshop. An impact wrench is a convenient power tool which has been primarily designed for this purpose, although it can be used for other high torque applications too.
An impact wrench delivers a much higher force than is possible by hand, making tricky loosening and tightening jobs a breeze. There are many excellent high quality impact wrenches on the market today which are ideal for changing tires, produced by many of the top power tool manufacturers in the industry.
Affordable and powerful, these are an excellent addition to any workshop. If you are looking for the best impact wrench for lug nuts, we have compiled a selection of the top five performing models so that you can make an informed purchasing decision.
Bosch HTH181-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Square Drive Impact Wrench Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case – Detent Pin
This powerful impact wrench from Bosch boasts 500 ft lbs of max torque to allow for super fast removal or tightening of heavy duty lug nuts, concrete anchors or lag screws.
Weighing only 6.7 pounds and measuring just 10 inches in length, this model has a very lightweight design and a shorter head length allowing use for longer periods without excessive fatigue.
Its spring loaded hammer and anvil allows for high torque with very little torque reaction, and operating at 1900 RPM with 2100 IMP, its optimized mechanism boosts efficiency.
The all metal motor ensures a long lifespan while guaranteeing that it is robust and durable enough to withstand even tough job sites. Thanks to the advanced lithium ion battery technology which combines a unique design with Electronic Cell Protection, this unit delivers optimal performance and boasts an impressively long battery life. The integrated LED light ensures optimal visibility even in dark environments while the ergonomically designed soft grip handle improves user comfort.
- Ergonomically designed soft grip handle
- All metal motor for a long lifespan and better durability
- Lightweight at just 6.7 lbs
- Difficult to use in tight spaces as it is larger than some of its competitors
- Heavier than some other models
This impact wrench from Campbell Hauseld offers 550 ft.-lbs for more reliable, steady power that is strong enough to loosen or tighten the toughest of lug nuts.
Its balanced and powerful twin hammer impact mechanism produces impressive results with less vibration for better user control and comfort and the soft comfort grip reduces the user’s fatigue even during periods of extended use.
Designed for all kinds of automotive repair and maintenance projects, this impact wrench is critical to getting the job done with minimum fuss and effort. Thanks to its variable speed regulator, it is possible to switch between low, medium or a full power output in the forward direction as well as maximum power in the reverse direction while the balanced and smooth impact mechanism together with the rubberized grip improve the user experience. This tool only weight 4.4 pounds, making it one of the lightest impact wrenches available thanks to its composite design.
- Variable speed regulator to choose the optimal speed from low, medium or full
- Rubberized soft grip for better user comfort and control
- Balanced, powerful twin hammer impact mechanism for lower vibrations
- Lowest power setting is not very effective
- Requires a large compressor for heavy duty tasks
This impact wrench from Ingersoll Rand boasts an impressive performance, producing 930 feet-pounds of maximum reverse torque to get even tough tasks completed in a short space of time. With a maximum torque of 1350 feet-pounds, this tool will certainly get the job done, and produces more than enough power to loosen or tighten lug nuts.
The Ingersoll Rand 2135 series is well known for its robustness and durability, and this tool does not disappoint, thanks to its finely tuned twin hammer impact mechanism.
Its steel wear plate, composite housing and titanium hammer case are all incredibly strong and resilient, protecting the tool effectively from even the harshest of working environments. Each mechanism, function and component of this tool has been efficiently tested to ensure it performs to the highest level, and as the entire impact wrench only weighs 4.6 pounds, it is light enough for the user to work faster and harder for a longer period. As this product is also protected by a two year manufacturer’s warranty, the purchaser can enjoy complete peace of mind.
- Lightweight at just 4.6 pounds allowing for longer periods of use without user fatigue
- Steel wear plate, titanium hammer case and composite housing for extra resilience
- 2 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Requires heavy duty air supply
- Louder than some of its competitors
This handy 12 volt impact wrench is the ideal tool to keep inside your vehicle in case of an emergency flat tire by the roadside. Allowing the user to tighten and loosen lug nuts in only 4 seconds without the need to use hand tools, saving you time and effort and getting you back on the road more quickly than ever.
This tool works by simply plugging it into your vehicle’s 12 volt DC cigarette lighter socket or by connecting it to your vehicle’s battery for the ultimate in convenience.
This tool has both forward and reverse selectability for greater flexibility. Able to produce 185ft/lbs of torque, it is also able to securely tighten lugs for extra safety on the road and, as a multipurpose tool, it can also lower and raise scissor jacks for extra versatility. Operating at 2700 RPM, this impact wrench comes with 13/16, 3/4″, 7/8″ and 11/16″ sockets as well as a handy compact carrying case so that it can be easily stored in the trunk and transported.
- Comes with a handy compact carrying case
- Plugs into the vehicle’s lighter socket for extra convenience
- Can tighten or loosen lug nuts in just 4 seconds
- Can blow the fuse of the cigarette lighter if used for an extended period
- Tricky to operate with two hands
This impact wrench kit from Craftsman C3 features a 19.2-Volt variable speed motor giving you all of the power that you need to fasten and unfasten lug nuts.
Thanks to its cordless design, it is incredibly handy to keep in the vehicle in the event of suffering from a flat tire while out on the road, but it is also versatile enough to use for domestic tasks such as putting together decking.
Thanks to the ergonomically designed handle, the user can benefit from a steady, comfortable and firm grip in any conditions, whether the weather is hot or cold, or whether your hands are greasy.
Powered by a powerful 19.2 v NiCad battery, this tool can loosen even tough bolts and with its in-built LED light, it is easy to see what you are doing during the hours of darkness, making tire changes at the roadside in the dark a breeze.
- Cordless design for added convenience
- Ergonomically designed handle for an improved grip
- In-Built LED flashlight for better visibility
- Bulky design makes some spaces hard to access
- Does not have a lithium battery